Two things come to mind when we think of Easter. The first being its religious significance to Christians. And secondly, delicious Easter eggs that usually come with a chocolate center. As mums, it’s fun to watch our tiny totes scramble for these eggs at egg hunt parties. Some Mums even join along, being the good sports they are.
But how about making delicious and nutritious Sunday brunch treats with eggs that bring you, your kids and Dad closer?
#1. Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomato
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp. Hot sauce
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ c. Crumbled feta
1. Heat up your oven to 400 degrees F. Next, heat oil over medium-high heat before including onions and sauteing for about 5 minutes. Add your spinach and saute for about two minutes too.
2. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a mix bowl before adding the onion-spinach mixture. Split into 4 oiled ramekins (baking trays). It’s at this point that you’ll crack an egg in the centre of each ramekin
3. Crack an egg into the centre of each ramekin, then sprinkle on feta. Put in the baking oven and cook until the whites are firm but yolks remain soft,
#2. Creamy ham and cheese quiche
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1cup chopped cooked ham
- 1cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 19″ unbaked pie shell
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Put your pie pastry in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Bake your pie crust in the preheated oven for about five minutes. Next, use a fork to insert holes into the crust and continue baking until you get a light brown colour.
3. Reduce your oven’s heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Next, mix about 1/2 a cup of your cheese ingredients – cheddar cheese and swiss cheese – with 1 tablespoon flour in a bowl. Then, spread the mix over the warm pie crust.
5. Place pieces of ham over your cheese mixture.
6. Mix your eggs, onions, 1 tablespoon flour, and salt together in half-and-half mixtures. You can go ahead to pour this mixture over the ham layer and sprinkle some cheddar cheese.
7. Bake in preheated oven until set in the centre for about 40 to 50 minutes.
Header Image credit: CommunityTable.com