Can we all just agree that baking is a fun thing to with/for your kids this Mother’s day. Maybe they are only excited at being able to make a mess without getting in trouble for it. There’s also the joy and excitement of seeing and eating the product of the hard day’s work. We thought about all of these and decided to share this easy heart shaped red velvet cake recipe to help make this a fun Mother’s day baking weekend with your kids. It’s also a fun recipe for kids to try out with your supervision if they really enjoy baking.
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons Cocoa
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk – made from Nunu milk and white vinegar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tablespoon red liquid food colouring
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Grease a heart-shaped cake pan and line the base and sides of the pan with baking paper.
- Sift flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- Lightly whisk buttermilk, oil, egg, red food colouring, essence and vinegar together in a bowl. Add to well.
- Stir until smooth and combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy this lovely red velvet cake with a glass of Nunu Milk this Mother’s Day.
Happy Mother’s day to all our Smart Mums!
For more exciting recipes, click here